It is hard for me to start this post today in a way that would be fitting. But what you are about to read comes from the bottom of my heart as does the piece created.
One of my work colleagues at very short notice, lost her mum not so long ago. This was a very tragic time for her and I admire her courage and the way she handled herself over the period of loss and how she continues to do so even now. My heart and thoughts are with her and her family.
This lovely lady had seen some of my other memory boxes, in particular the one that I have as my header on my blog and asked me quite quickly if I would create her a memory box for the cards and other items which she would like to store so that her family could remember her mum as time passed.
I agreed and over a few chats, sometimes just chatting or other times when she was showing us at work the lovely floral tributes, a clear vision of what her mum loved in life became clear. She had from the beginning told me to post it and to enter it into any challenge, which initially I felt I did not want to. I felt it was too early, but now feel that it would be nice for her to see it posted. She told me this morning that she would become a blogger so she could see it (I hope I have done this post proud for you xx) I remember when making it how emotional I would get and again now the same as I try to write why it was created.
The flower colours are those she loved, along with the dophin and the butterflies. Each and every element was created with her in mind. The front sentiment is the poem located by her and read by her at her mum's funeral.
When I started to put my ideas together even the DH did not see the vision. I kept updating my colleague each time she came in. It did not happen overnight and took a good five weeks to complete, as I had said to my colleague I wanted it to be just perfect and not rushed in anyway. It became my labor of love and here you will see why. (I apologies for the number of photo's but wanted to create a lasting memory of all of the special elements it holds). When I found this chipboard, book - I just new I wanted to create a special bible effect.
The spine contains the computer typed name, which was then traced onto tissue paper and then very carefully glued in place. The beautiful linear trim, is the self sticky velvet ribbon from "Running With Scissors", it finished it to perfection.
Here is the inside of the bible
This was created from creating an artizan shape and cutting this out of a piece of carefully measured to fit 12 x 12 speciality paper. I then used a MS punch to create the corners. I punched out lots of little branches with leaves on them and the same of flowers in various shapes and sizes and lots of scrolls and butterflies too. I glued them all together to make a lace effect over the gold acrylic base colour. I added the pearls to the flower centres and the ends of the scrolls. I added two small red roses to the centre of two flowers. She loved red and bright pink roses. I added a row of liquid pearls down the butterflies body and curled the flowers for depth.
This was another cut to fit 12 x 12 paper to start with. I stamped an MSE blank dolphin onto the central area. I also stamped an MSE worded dolphin onto acetate. I cut out the blank dolphin to leave an aperture that the acetate dolphin would show through. So that the gold was seen through both the acetate and the aperture. I then added the lace to fit snuggly all the way around the edge to protect the contents.
I will try at this point explain how I created the overall look. After trying several different media for the crackle look, whilst laying down the base gesso I finally found the look I was after. It is a spray can of cream crackle paint normally used on furniture. I had fully coated the whole box in the acrylic gold and this showed through at just the right amount. I then glazed it all to protect it over the years. The sentiment is made from some light cream linen textured card. The sentiment computer generated and printed onto the card. The sentiment was torn out and then wet using baby wipes to allow me to curl and distress the edges. It was left to dry before I used Tim Holtz distress inks to age it till I felt it looked just right. I glued this onto the box front. When it was dry I spent a good couple of week, placing all the flowers bought from several places on the box front around the sentiment. (Hobby Craft, Local Department Store, Hobby House, Tilly's, Grimsby Crafts and a local cheap shop) Once I was happy with the floral arrangement I started to carefully glue them all into place. Once dry I added the green twirly stems, and the lovely gem stems that Polly gave to me (thanks Polly they look awesome)
This is the beautiful poem, it just says it all..................................
The edges I used a very large house paint brush on to get the effect of gilt edged pages.
I am entering this into one challenge, the only challenge that I feel would understand the amount of work that has gone into this piece. It is one of my favorite challenges with very talented ladies for the DT and great followers too. Each and every piece that is entered into this challenge are always so beautiful and so detailed.
The Challenge "Lets Get Shabby" - the theme this month is Paint, Chipboard and Lace.
My thoughts are with all of you out there in blog land who should take every opportunity that life gives you as it is so very precious especially in the crafting world. Enjoy your weekend crafting :)